Soon to be Six!

Soon to be Six!
First Family Photo

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Heroes

For my boys.

Google defines hero as:
/ˈhi(ə)rō/
Noun
  1. A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.
  2. The chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities.

What a pathetic definition!  Two of my heroes don't fit that description.  They are not men, far from courageous and nobility, maybe.  My boys.  Of course, these two had my heart the moment I laid eyes on them but the joy I get in discovering who God made them to be is an adventure I look forward to each day.  They are truly my heroes.  These boys have a heart like Christ and for that they have my admiration.  If I had to walk a day in their shoes, I am sure I would be pouting in the corner, demanding for life to go back to normal! Oh, wait, I AM doing that on most days! These boys had their world turned upside down when we adopted the girls.  Adoption was a decision that we made as a family.  From day one, the boys were anxious to get the girls home.  We spent a lot of time trying to prepare them for how life would change when the girls came home.  Of course, we could only prepare them so much as we were not sure what to expect ourselves.  Silas would often come out of no where and say, "I wish I could just get on a plane and go get the girls!"  This was before he had even seen their faces.  Luke would often ask to watch the video of them over and over.  However, life since bringing the girls home, has not been sunshine and roses!  In the past 15 months, the boys have been short changed more times than I would ever want to admit.  They have been neglected, kicked out of their room (not really so bad since it turned into getting their own little bachelor pad!), lost freedoms, been yelled at, called names, hit and blamed.  They lost their calm, cool and collected parents for two grown babies who were crying, pouting, angry, and depressed about life (don't worry...we have recovered!  ;-) )  How does all this show me Christ in their hearts?  In a moment of revelation or pure insanity, (still deciding which one), Eric and I started discussing the possibility of adopting again.  Like I said, I am not clear on whether it is insanity or a revelation from God...He is going to have to be more clear and direct with me!  So we decided to ask the boys what they thought in total anticipation of them laughing in our faces.  Their responses brings tears to my eyes and draws me to my knees in repentance.  Luke's response:  "That would be awesome.  We would have another kid to play our games (games they made up to play with their sisters. Which turns out is all 4 of their favorite things to do), another person to play legos, baseball, sports and stuff.  Sounds good!"  To press for his real opinion we mentioned getting less attention.  He said, "That's alright.  I get too much attention anyway!"  As he started to walk into the kitchen, he turned in a panic, "We need to get another chair!!"  I love that concern was on hospitality not on himself.    Silas's response was just as precious (and for those of you who know Silas well, you can totally hear him saying this).  "I think we should do it.  Every kid needs parents.  I mean, you know, where would I be without my parents?"  Oh, how I long to have a heart like that.  A selfless, caring, and open heart to God's call.  I don't know what I did to deserve such God honoring boys but I thank Jesus everyday for them.  Thank you boys for reminding me why Christ was born and who my heroes should resemble!  Merry Christmas!  P.S. Life is too busy to edit!  Sorry!



No comments:

Post a Comment